Maybe I’m just an OCD list lover, but does anyone else make lists of things to do before they leave on a trip? I’m not talking about a packing list… I’m talking about the list of papers to print, things to arrange, etc… I keep an open list on my phone for about a month before I leave so I can check off and add things to the to do list when they pop in my head. Here are a some of things I write on my list to check off before I go anywhere.
- Create a to pack list: We all have that moment during the day where we think, “oh, I need to remember to pack xyz.” Just have a list (yes a second list).
- Create a travel folder: Print color copies of your passports, travel itinerary, any confirmations you receive, travel insurance, etc… I also make a copy to leave at my house with my mother.
- Notify your bank: I learned this the hard way. I was once on a road trip and used my card in two different states and then did an online purchase where the transaction was processed in a different state, which led the bank to shut down my card. Go by your bank a few days before you leave and let them know where you are going and if you need to remove any limits on transactions.
- Safe deposit box: This may be my insurance background going into overdrive, but I’ve always kept a safe deposit box that holds important documents and when I travel I let the bank know to give access to my mother and/or husband if something were to happen to me. I keep car titles, my husband’s adoption papers, birth certificates, our will, and copies of life insurance documents.
- Insurance: I make sure whoever is watching over my home knows who to call if something were to happen to the house and claim needed to be started. I also make sure that whoever is watching my child has a copy of my health insurance card.
- A will: If you don’t have a will and you have a child at home, get a will before you leave on your next trip.
- Alarm: I always call my home monitoring company and give them the number to whoever is watching or staying at my home while I’m gone so that if it gets set off, that person is immediately called. Also make sure this person knows your password and alarm code.
- House keys: Again, we learned this the hard way. We returned home during a power outage and our garage door wouldn’t open and my mom had already left to return home… with our house key.
- Medical: If you have a child at home, make sure you leave a notarized document granting a certain person the right to make medical decisions for your little one while you are gone.
- Pay your bills: You don’t want to return home to your water being shut off because you forgot about it.
- Take out your trash: You don’t want to return home to a stinky garage or kitchen.
- Cash to tip with: We always carry an envelope with enough bills in small denominations to cover tipping.
- Car maintenance: If you are going on a road trip, have your vehicle looked over for any issues during the oil change prior to leaving.
What are some things you make sure are done before you travel?